Families are invited to Frost Valley YMCA on Sunday, April 26 from 1-4 p.m. for Healthy Kids Day, a free, annual community event aimed at inspiring kids and families to develop healthier lifestyles. Healthy Kids Day is the Y’s national initiative to improve family health and well-being through games, healthy eating, arts and crafts, and more. Kids and parents can enjoy the fun, educational activities that Frost Valley offers year-round, such as a climbing tower, hiking, games, demonstrations, and other hands-on programs. The goal is to educate and motivate families to develop their own active, healthy routines at home. Research shows that without access to out-of-school physical and learning activities, kids fall behind academically. Kids also gain weight twice as fast during summer than the school year. This is why Healthy Kids Day is celebrated at more than 1,300 YMCAs across the country. Although the event is free, reservations are highly recommended, and can be made at 845-985-2291 or FrostValley.org/Contact-Us. In celebration of YMCA’s Healthy Kids Day, the Y offers the following tips to help families develop healthy habits:
- High Five the Fruits and Veggies: Make sure kids get at least five servings a day, the minimum number nutritionists recommend to maintain healthy childhood development.
- Foster an Early and Ongoing Passion for Books: Read to and with your kids. Help children read at every age and every stage of their development.
- Team Up for Athletic Events: Set a family goal of great health by teaming up for community or charity events like races, walks, fun runs, bike rides, etc.
- Volunteer Together: Find a cause that matters to the kids. Open their eyes to a world beyond themselves and the rich rewards that come from making a difference.
- Lead By Example: Be a good role model. Seeing how hard their parents work, and how rewarding that experience can be could influence kids.