Job Openings at Frost Valley YMCA!
Current year-round (non-summer) openings:
OUTDOOR & VIRTUAL LEARNING FACILITATOR
Community Programs Director
Full-Time (September 2020 – June 2021), hourly, non-exempt
Frost Valley YMCA’s Outdoor & Virtual Learning Center, is a fully licensed School Aged Child Care Program through the New York Office of Children and Family Services, located on-site at Frost Valley YMCA. The center is in operation, Monday-Friday, from 8:30am-5:30pm. Facilitators will work with pods/groups of school age children, aged Kindergarten – 6th grade. Facilitators will assist students with their virtual learning, assigned by each student’s respective educational program. When children are not involved in virtual learning, facilitators will plan and execute outdoor education and recreation activities.
- 2 + years previous experience supervising and working with children. Specifically children K-6th
- Desire to work with children between 5-12 years of age in an active and educational setting to create a safe, fun and supportive environment.
- Able to be a positive model for fellow staff and children.
- At least 18 years of age and have successfully completed a high school education.
- Able to pass fingerprint/background check prior to start date.
- Able to pass a medical exam prior to their start date. Including a negative COVID-19 test prior to arrival on-site
- Able to work well with a team of others and possess good communication skills.
- Positive character traits, enthusiasm, patience, adaptability, sound judgment and a sense of humor.
- First Aid, CPR and AED certified (certifications can be earned upon hire at Frost Valley)
The Outdoor & Virtual Learning Center Facilitator is responsible for providing a physically and emotionally safe environment for all children in the program, which allows for them to have fun, enjoy new experiences and develop positive relationships with their peers. Additionally, the Outdoor & Virtual Learning Center Facilitator will assist the children with Virtual Learning, reading assignments and providing support for educational programming. The Outdoor & Virtual Learning Center Facilitator will also plan and execute a wide variety of both physical and hands on activities for children who have completed their virtual learning programs.
- Set a positive example for staff and children by practicing Frost Valley YMCA Core Values (Caring, Honesty, Respect, Responsibility, Stewardship, Diversity, Inclusiveness and Community).
- Without bias, work with a diverse population of staff and children.
- Encourage respect for other people, the environment, personal property, program equipment and for all Frost Valley YMCA facilities.
- Provide safe supervision to assigned children at all times.
- Facilitate a full daily schedule for an assigned pod/grouping of children
- Assist a pod/group of children in their virtual learning program
- Develop and execute a daily program schedule created with children’s input to meet the needs of the entire group.
- Observe, monitor, and participate in children’s play activities.
- Efficiently redirect inappropriate student behaviors and implement the program discipline system to effectively monitor and guide proper student behavior.
- Assist in the cleaning, sanitizing, and straightening of the room/program space and equipment before, during, and after the program.
- Maintain a high level of infectious disease mitigation practice
- Provide a positive environment that is conducive to the development of children’s peer-to-peer relationships.
- Report any concerns and questions regarding the program (students, parents, equipment needs, supplies, other staff, volunteers, etc.) to the Community Programs Director.
- Ensure that all facilities, program equipment and supplies are maintained.
- Be a visible and participatory partner of the Frost Valley YMCA staff team.
- Maintain a positive work environment for staff cooperation and problem solving.
- Apply appropriate behavior management techniques to a variety of situations.
- Maintain a high level of energy necessary to keep children active and motivated.
- Ability to carry out duties in an Out of School Time setting.
- Physical ability to participate in the program.
- Ability to identify and respond to environmental and other hazards related to all activities.
- Ability to respond to emergency situation requiring First Aid and coordination of medical attention.
- Support the mission of the Frost Valley YMCA.
- Other duties as assigned.
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.
Updated: August 2020, Director of Youth Development & Innovation
$12.00/hour, on-site housing, benefits
How to apply:
For more information, please contact Marina Esteve Wagstaff, firstname.lastname@example.org, 845-985-2291 ext. 323.
Submit application, cover letter, and resume to Linda Ludwig-Tisch, Director of Human Resources at email@example.com or 845-985-2291 x254.
Director of School Programs & Director of Group and Family Retreats
Full-time, seasonal (usually Sep – June), salary, exempt
- Previous experience working with children, and a commitment to work with guests from diverse backgrounds
- Bachelor’s degree in Education, Environmental Studies, Outdoor Recreation a plus OR experience working with children, especially in those fields
- Effective teacher and communicator that enjoys working with people of all ages and backgrounds
- Hold current First Aid/CPR certifications, or ability to obtain upon hire
- Possess a valid US Driver’s License and be able to pass internal FV driver training preferred Physical Qualifications:
- Able to traverse a variety of terrain, and work outside in adverse weather conditions
- Able to stand and walk for much of the day
Reasonable Accommodations Statement:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Company has reviewed this job description to ensure that essential functions and basic duties have been included. It is intended to provide guidelines for job expectations and the employee’s ability to perform the position described. It is not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all functions, responsibilities, skills, and abilities. Additional functions and requirements may be assigned by supervisors as deemed appropriate. This document does not represent a contract of employment, and the Company reserves the right to change this job description and/or assign tasks for the employee to perform, as the Company may deem appropriate.
Updated January 2020; HR
Program Instructor Staff are responsible for preparation, delivery, and follow up for all programs offered through the Environmental Education, Teambuilding, and Group and Family Retreats programs at Frost Valley YMCA. Through teaching, the Instructor will seek to promote awareness in our guests of the interrelationships of the natural world through the natural sciences and other program activities. Frost Valley’s programs seek to promote deeper connections within our students and guests with the outdoors, with others and with themselves.
- Lead small groups of students and guests in activities ranging from apple cider making, map & compass, watershed, geology, hikes, arts & crafts and much more
- Plan and implement lessons and activity plans for each assigned program
- With the Program Instructor team, prepare spaces for use by program participants, such as setting up ropes elements, moving tables and chairs, moving luggage, etc
- Serve as point of contact for school and teambuilding groups, being present at meals to answer questions and provide support and direction
- Assist guests in composting in the dining hall
Frost Valley Mission Statement:
Frost Valley YMCA is a values-driven organization that fosters youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility through outdoor educational and recreational programs for all.
Caring, Community, Diversity, Honesty, Inclusiveness, Respect, Responsibility, and Stewardship.
$65 – 75 a day + Excellent benefits, on-site housing and meals
How to apply:
Please send application, resume and cover letter to Human Resources: firstname.lastname@example.org or by mail: 2000 Frost Valley Rd, Claryville, NY 12725. For more information call 845-985-2291 x254.