In order to give campers and parents an inside look at Frost Valley’s Eco Warriors Day Camp, Marina Esteve Wagstaff, Community Programs Director, answered some questions parents and campers might have about this specialty day camp.
1. Who is this camp best suited for?
“This specialty camp is best suited for children going into grades 3-5 in September who enjoy spending time outside learning about nature and planet earth. If your child is curious about climate change or is passionate about reusable materials then this will be a great fit for them.”
2. What kinds of things will campers be upcycling?
“Campers will be upcycling household objects that would end up in the trash otherwise. Objects might include socks, bottle caps, cardboard, plastic bottles, etc.”
3. Will they be asked to bring items from home for these projects?
“If you have recycling at home that you think we might be able to use then let one of our directors know. We can most likely use it for different projects, however Frost Valley will provide all the supplies that campers need.”
4. What things will campers be planting and will they be bringing plants home at the end of the session?
“Campers can expect to lend a hand in the Frost Valley garden learning about how to grow their own vegetables and flowers at home. They might even be able to help us harvest some fresh snacks! Campers will get to plant their own kitchen herbs to take home.”
5. What will campers learn about ecology and protecting the environment?
“Through a variety of activities, games, hikes and other projects campers will learn about the balance of the natural world and how it relates to people’s everyday lives. The program is designed to help children understand how they can be kind to the plant and make choices that will have a positive impact in years to come.”
6. How does this camp incorporate Frost Valley’s core values: Caring, Community, Diversity, Honesty, Inclusiveness, Respect, Responsibility, and Stewardship?
“Campers will learn about all the core values throughout their week with us as they are at the forefront of everything we do. Eco Warriors will specifically focus on how to be a good steward of the environment and its resources and how to make responsible and caring choices on behalf of the planet.”
7. Will campers get a chance to participate in traditional camp activities? If so, which ones?
“Of course! Campers will spend the morning focusing on their specialty area then after lunch they can expect to take part in traditional activities such as archery, gaga, swimming, boating, and many other Frost Valley favorites.”
8. Is there anything else camper parents should know about this camp?
“Campers will be spending the majority of the day outside unless there is inclement weather so please make sure they bring a reusable mask, water bottle, sunscreen and sensible shoes.”
Visit Frost Valley’s Day Camp Page or call 845-985-2291 ext. 410 for more information or register online.