- This event has passed.
Bowhunter Education Course
April 14 @ 9:00 am - 5:00 pm
The Bowhunter Education course is required for first-time hunters to learn the necessary safety techniques and responsibilities using a gun, muzzleloader, crossbow or bow to pursue big game, small game, turkey, waterfowl and migratory game birds. If you wish to hunt during bow season, you must register for both hunter education and bowhunter education courses.
Classes fill quickly!
Register for this course through the New York State Department of Conservation site
General Course Details Include:
- Firearm and crossbow handling and safety techniques
- History of firearms
- Knowledge of firearms and ammunition
- Proper gun handling and storage
- Marksmanship fundamentals
- Specific laws and regulations
- Principles of wildlife management and wildlife identification
- Outdoor Safety
- Hunter ethics
- Hunter responsibility toward wildlife, the environment, landowners and the general public
Students must be 11 years or older to take this course (Note: In New York State the minimum age to hunt is 12-years old). Students 11 to 16-years old must have a signed permission slip (PDF, 106 KB) from a parent or legal guardian to allow for the handling and shooting of a firearm during this course.