How do I apply?

What’s the difference between the CiT, AiT & WiT program?

Who Teaches the CiTs?

What are the Session Dates?

Will my child be safe?

How far in advance does my child need to have a physical?

How often is mail delivered?

What can I send in a care package?

What should we send/not send with our child to camp?

What food is served at Frost Valley?



How do I apply?

  1. Applicants must be entering 11th grade in the Fall or 16 years of age by the start of the in-Training Program.
  2. Complete the online application by the start of Winter Camp, December 28th.
  3. Please follow up with your references. References must be completed and submitted to Frost Valley by January 1st. Great people for references are teachers, recent counselors, employers, or people who have seen you work with children, or have seen you in a leadership position.

The in-Training program is about teens developing their independence and leadership skills. The applicant MUST take the initiative to complete the application and answer Frost Valley’s questions.

It is important to note that space is extremely limited in these programs. Preference towards a particular session is not guaranteed.

What’s the difference between the CiT, AiT & Wit program?

  • The Resident Camp CiT Program –This month-long program is offered twice per summer. It gives participants a well-rounded overview of the entire Frost Valley Camp Counselor experience. Participants will spend a portion of their experience on a wilderness trip learning to plan meals, set-up and break down camp, and use resourcefulness and confidence to overcome obstacles. Another portion of the experience will include participating in workshops and learning to work with children. Some topics covered during this section include hip pocket games, how to be a counselor, behavior management, and more. To learn more about the resident camp at the Frost Valley YMCA, please click on Summer Camp
  • The Adventure CiT Program – This month long program is offered once during the summer. Adventure CiTs participate in similar leadership training and development as Resident Camp CiTs, however the emphasis on this program is on creating outdoor leaders to potentially work in Adventure Village. Adventure CiTs spend more time on overnights and learning outdoor teaching skills, such as fire building, water purification and camping techniques. To learn more about Adventure Village at Frost Valley YMCA, please click on teen adventures.
  • The Equestrian Camp Wrangler in Training Program is designed to give previous horse campers the chance to see what it takes to be a counselor and staff member with the Equestrian Programs at Frost Valley. The month long sessions of the WIT program will take place twice during the summer. For more information about the WIT program please contact Emily Gorman

Who Teaches the CiTs?

The CiT coordinators are hired to work with the counselors-in-training during the course of the summer. The coordinators are adults who have experience working with teens, outdoor skills, CPR and First Aid training, and a familiarity with Frost Valley YMCA’S philosophy and routines. The coordinators are selected on the basis of maturity, level of experience and sound judgment ability. Prior to camp, the coordinators will participate in a two-week training program.

What is the schedule for interviewing for the in-Training Programs?
Applicants will be contacted in the beginning of January to set up an interview time for later in the month. Applicants will receive notification of their acceptance into this program by mail before the end of February.

If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Zach Eigenbrodt at 845-985-2291 or email

What are the session dates?

The current years’ scheduled sessions can be found here


Will my child be safe?

Safety is a top priority at Frost Valley YMCA. Frost Valley’s Summer Camp program has a counselor-camper ratio of 1:6. This exceeds Department of Health standards.

We employ 18 lifeguards, all of whom are re-certified annually, regardless of their experience.

The horse barn staff, all of whom are Certified Horsemanship Association (CHA) certified and supervised by a master trainer. Children must all wear safety gear including helmets, without exception.

Our ropes courses are extremely well supervised. There are three ropes supervisors. All are expert in taking safety measures and all necessary precautions. Belaying policy and procedure is dictated by the Association for Challenge Course Technology (ACCT) and all standards are met.

How does Frost Valley prevent strangers?

Staff are very sensitive about identifying authorized versus non-authorized individuals on campus. Staff are in constant contact with one another and with the administration, via hand-held radio. Frost Valley YMCA runs a “closed campus” during summer session, therefore, any strangers would be readily identifiable.

Conferences, retreats, and adventure events can coincide with summer and day camp events. In the event that this should occur, procedures are in place to safeguard our campers. All other guests are required to wear name tags and color-coded wristbands identifying the program in which they are enrolled. Additionally, their vehicles are registered with Frost Valley’s conferencing center. Trespassers are immediately identified, approached, and asked to vacate the premises. Guided tours of the facility are available via appointment only.

Are the cabins heated? Is there electricity?

The CiTs live in Leadership Lodge.  Leadership Lodge does have electricity and heat. Bathrooms are located inside the lodge.

The AiTs live in yurts located outside Adventure Village.  Yurts are insulated but do not have electricity.  AiTs use the same bathhouse as Adventure Village.

The WiTs will live in East Valley Lodge. EVL has both electricity and heat along with bathrooms located inside the lodge.

How far in advance does my child need to have a physical?

Within the 12 months prior to the date your child arrives at camp.

How often is mail delivered?

Mail is sorted and delivered daily (when the local post office is open). Mail is delivered to campers by their Village Chief and Counselors daily. You can also email your camp with our personal one-way email system. To register, click here and chose the option email.

What can I send in a care package?

Toys, stuffed animals, cabin decorations, and letters are all great option. We discourage valuable items, which may get lost or broken at camp, and ANY food items as they attract animals into the cabins. Junk food is not allowed.

What should we send/not send with our child to camp?

Attach this list to the Inside of your camper’s suitcase or trunk or put it in their duffel bag:

• blanket & sleeping bag*
• 2 fitted & 2 flat sheets
• 2 pillowcases
• 1 pillow
• 1 laundry bag*
• 4 bath towels*
• 6-8 shorts
• 4-5 jeans/long pants
• 1 belt r 12 pr. underclothes
• 1-2 heavy sweater/jacket
• 2-3 Sweatshirts
• 12 pr. socks
• hat or cap
• raincoat or poncho
• 2 bathing suits
• sneakers (2 pairs if possible)
• soap and soapbox
• comb/brush
• toothbrush and paste
• shampoo
• sunblock
• water bottle (20 oz.)
• bug spray
• 2 pr. pajamas
• 10 t-shirts
• 4 long sleeve shirts

Packing list for the hike:

  • Broken-in hiking Boots: ankle support is required!
  • Flashlight or headlamp with extra batteries
  • 2 light t-shirts (polypro, or other non-cotton blend)
  • 2 shorts – quick drying fabric (non-cotton)
  • Raingear
  • 3 pair of wool or polypro
  • Raingear
  • Long underwater top & bottom (synthetic/non-cotton)
  • Medium an/or heavy weight top layer (fleece or wool)
  • Underwear
  • Warm hat and gloves
  • Water Bottles (2 32 ounce water bottles)
  • Sunscreen (30SPF or higher)
  • Non-scented toiletries

Most clothing should be a cotton blend or not cotton at all. Why no cotton? Please visit


We recommend that all your clothing be marked with name tapes. You will save money and confusion by preventing loss. Sterling Iron-on Name Tapes are made of white cotton-poly material with a heat activated backing that bonds to fabric with a hot iron. Your name will be permanently printed in your choice of black or blue ink. An order blank is on the both sides of the downloadable form below, please mail it to STERLING NAME TAPE and not to the camp. You can also order online at or call them toll-free at 800-654-5210.


  1. One soft duffel, suitcase or trunk
  2. A laundry bag
  3. A sleeping bag.


• To make your cabin more comfortable we suggest bringing a favorite stuffed animal, pictures to post, and a comfy pillow.
• Good shoes are important to safely navigate the mountains and woods terrain surrounding Frost Valley.
• Please leave your skateboards, roller blades and scooters at home.

Frost Valley YMCA is not responsible for any lost, stolen, or damaged items. Camp is not a place for expensive items.
Please leave the following items at home:

• Expensive clothing and jewelry
• Stereos, CD players, MP3 player (iPod, Zune) iPad, digital book readers, and electronic games.
• Expensive cameras (disposable cameras are a great idea!)
• Weapons, including pocket and hunting knives, alcohol, cigarettes and illegal drugs are not permitted in camp and will result in immediate dismissal from camp.
• Open toed shoes are not permitted at camp.
• Please leave your skateboards, roller blades, and scooters at home.

Please do not pack food. Campers are NOT permitted to have food in the cabins. Food will attract wildlife into the cabin areas. Frost Valley provides healthy, plentiful food as well as some evening snacks.
All luggage should have a PERMANENT label inside and out.

What food is served at Frost Valley?

At Frost Valley YMCA, campers are discouraged from eating foods with zero or little nutritional value. Candy, soda and snack foods are not served in the Dining Hall nor are they sold in the Camp Store. Instead, Frost Valley’s dining hall staff serves three wholesome meals daily, with special features including morning breakfast bars, lunch and dinner salad bars, and alternate vegetarian/vegan menus.

The Frost Valley Food Service is an integral part of every participant’s experience. The dining hall is not just a place to eat, but is also a key component to the educational experience. Frost Valley composts all of its food waste. Campers participate in this process by separating their organic from non-organic waste. Through these activities we hope to increase awareness and understanding of the resources around us.

The Dining Hall staff is sympathetic to our campers’ dietary concerns and food allergies. If you have a food concern, please contact our Food Service Director at or at (845) 985-2291 ext. 230. Frost Valley’s food service is managed by Chartwells Educational Dining Services, who provide nutrition planning and food service to independent schools and colleges, corporate dining clients, and private organizations.